Llorenç Milà i Canals is a multilingual and transdisciplinary scientist with over twenty years’ experience in environmental assessment of products, focusing on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and its application on the implementation of sustainable business and policy models. Background gained through the development and implementation of research work, consultancy projects and educational programmes for private companies, public administration and academia. As a leader of international task forces, Llorenç has contributed to major developments in LCA methodology application (e.g. the Global LCA Data Access network), as well as over 50 scientific peer reviewed publications and close to 20 books and chapters. He has held subsequent positions with growing responsibility from researcher (Spanish and British Universities and research centres) and member of technical sustainability teams in industry (Unilever) to currently heading the Life Cycle Initiative Secretariat and life cycle thinking team in UN Environment, influencing capacity development and policy making in developing countries and emerging economies, as well as life cycle knowledge application world-wide.
Llorenç is a native Catalan and Spanish speaker, and is fluent in English and French. He is a keen distance runner and played rugby (1994-2004) in his native Barcelona.
- Proven capability of leading, involving, working with and influencing multi-stakeholder groups including policy-makers and opinion-formers for scientific, economic or political purposes dealing with Life Cycle Management
- World-class expert knowledge of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and its application to sustainable policy- and decision-making
- Extensive expertise of training people from different backgrounds (under- and post-graduate students, business and trade-association professionals, public administration and NGO officers)
- Coaching and managing team members in their professional development
- Known for achieving and delivering objectives thanks to his persistence and positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- 2013 PhD in Environmental Sciences. Cum Laude. Autonomous Univ. of Barcelona, 16 May 2003
PhD Thesis: Contributions to LCA for Agricultural Systems. Soil degradation impact assessment
- 1999 Master in Environmental Sciences, Autonomous Univ. of Barcelona
- 1996 First Class BSc (Honours) Environmental Sciences. Environmental Technology & Analysis
Prize ATLAS 1999 to the best environmental study: “LCA of footwear”